CaPS Application Process & Approval
For Projects Costing Between $100,000-$5,000,000, the following procedures will occur:
Applications should be submitted to the Executive Secretary of CaPS for review prior to inclusion on the agenda for the next meeting. The Application deadline is generally one week prior, before the Friday meeting.
CaPS Application to include the following:
- CaPS Application Form with Signature of primary client (ie, Vice-President, Principal, Dean or designate); Funding sources (CFC/CC account numbers) are mandatory and funds must be available at the inception of the project
- Signed Total Project Cost (TPC) estimate – see list below for authorized positions; TPC to be comprehensive, ie, items such as the purchase of furniture to be included
- For renovation projects that will result in an increase to the operating costs of a building, then the revised operating costs per square metre must be shown on each TPC sheet, but separate from the Total Project Cost estimate calculation
Upon approval by the committee, an Approval Letter signed by the Chair of CaPS is distributed by email to the division head or designate and copied to relevant parties. A project account is established with approval to proceed.
Approval letter to include:
- Approval date
- Project name and location of work
- TPC amount
- Brief description of the work
- Funding sources
- Date the project is required to be operationally complete
- Those responsible for the project
- Work to commence only after project account is established and after full funding has been transferred.
Capital Accounting creates the project account in FIS and transfers the full funding.
The Project Manager requests a closure by submitting a written application to Capital Accounting.
Upon a review of the account, particularly outstanding commitments, the project will be deemed closed by Capital Accounting.
Under spent funds are returned proportionately to the original funding source.
Change in Scope
Any change in the scope causing an increase or decrease of the original approved amount requires approval by CaPS.
The Client must submit:
- Revised and signed TPC (see list below for authorized positions)
- A CaPS Application form, the revised TPC and a letter to the Chair of CaPS for approval clearly identifying the source of additional funding (CFC/CC)
Upon CaPS approval, an Approval Letter is issued and the funds are transferred to the project account. Should project tenders and subsequent contracts be significantly below the initial TPC, project funding may be returned to the Division upon receipt of a signed TPC submitted to CaPS.
CFI/ORF Funded Projects
The following procedure pertains to projects that will be funded by the CFI/ORF:
- Project Management prepares a preliminary TPC for a CFI submission.
- If the submission is successful, the Faculty will bridge-fund the costs of bringing a project through the tender process in order to obtain a firm TPC.
- The firm TPC is submitted by Research Services to the CFI for review and approval.
- Once approved, the project is submitted to CaPS for approval.
- Due to the length of time required to receive the award funding, in order to expedite a project, Faculties may bridge-fund a project, and recovers funding at a later date.
Authorized Signatures for a Capital Projects TPC
The following positions are authorized to sign a TPC:
St George Campus
- Director, Project Management
- Director, Project Development
- Director, Design and Engineering
- Director, Property Management
For questions about an application or to submit an application, please contact:
Campus & Facilities Planning
12 Queens Park Cres.W., 4th Floor